hefty intact early 20th century american antique industrial stationary four-legged cast iron automatic feed press chicago factory machine shop base attributed to the v & o press company, glendale, brooklyn, new york. the low-lying factory machine base has been brushed down to bare metal and sealed with a clear coat lacquer to prevent surface corrosion. the factory machine base with outswept feet retains the original cast bronze model identification plaque is tightly affixed to the iron base with
remarkable early chicago john kent russell house (1855) oversized decommissioned 19th century salvaged chicago wood-framed house sill plate segment containing a hand-chiseled mortise. the old growth white pine wood residential chicago balloon frame artifact has been lightly cleaned. the historically-important beam fragment was removed from a much larger sill plate or sole plate, which is identified as a bottom horizontal member of a wall and/or building where both studs, joists, and girts are at
hard to find city of milwaukee outdoor freestanding antique american industrial oversized ornamental cast iron police or fire department combination call or alarm box top with intact solid iron ball finial. the cover was likely fabricated by or for the fire and police alarm post company, milwaukee, wisc. the municipal service post and lockable box was first designed and patented in 1915 by oscar d. kleinsteuber, milwaukee, wisc. despite many being scrapped by the city over the years, many origin
framed digital photography by urban remains owner eric j. nordstrom. the large format print, entitled "grain elevator" is a signed, limited edition. the enlarged photograph was printed on high quality fine art paper using archival-quality inks. the custom-built frame is comprised of wood with a matte black finish. the picture framing glass is clear with standard thickness. the backside is sealed with brown craft paper. metal strap hangers and mounting wire installed. ready for immediate installa
oversized c. 1860's original and largely intact chicago commercial building painted pine wood store door likely fabricated by the c.j.l. meyer mfg. co., chicago, il. the remarkably tall and narrow entrance door retains the original protruding or raised molding surrounding the window pane and single recessed panel at the bottom section of the door. the very unique and hard to find door contains a large rectangular-shaped opening that may originally have held only a single piece of plate glass. wh
all original c. 1860's interior painted pine wood basement vestibule door sidelight salvaged from the historically important john kent russell residence, constructed between the late 1840's and 1860's. Just below the lock rail is a distinctive recessed panels with built-up surrounding molding or trimwork containing concave corners (a popular design feature used in millwork during the mid-19th century). the original black paint finish has a nicely distressed surface patina. the backside side of t
intact american industrial factory machine shop machinist's stool fabricated by the angle steel stool co., otsego, mi. the riveted joint stool with rounded edge solid maple wood seat was salvaged from the sherman-klove company factory, defiance, oh. traces of an older red paint finish over steel evident. bottom stretchers provide added support and stability. the sk hand tools corp. was founded as the sherman-klove company, specializing in screw-machine products, by mason h. sherman and roger klo
single exceptionally rare and wonderfully maintained all original 19th century ornamental cast bronze interior lobby columbus memorial building electrolier wall sconce with shade fitters; can be fitted with period appropriate sockets the richly ornate double arm electric wall sconce is comprised of brass and bronze components, with bent tubular arms accentuated with beaded and faceted spear-shaped finials. the protruding base supporting the arms features a similar downward pointing finial, with
original late 1930's vintage fully functional american industrial heavy gauge tubular steel "localite" triple-joint task lamp designed and fabricated by the fostoria pressed steel corp., fostoria, oh. the pressed and formed steel articulating lamp contains a parabolic shade or reflector with integrated socket housing. the existing sockets and lamp cords are in good condition. the fostoria pressed steel company began producing the "localite" (in various configurations) beginning in 1918. the brus
unique heavily reinforced antique american industrial four-legged cast iron brushed metal stationary base with newly added wood slab with solid walnut wood butterfly joints. the heavy cast uron legs have been brushed down to bare metal and sealed with a clear coat lacquer. the repurposed coffee table is structurally sound and stable. the bases were likely fabricated by the medart patent pulley company, st. louis, mo.
single intact and orignal historically important c. 1920's neoclassical style ornamental cast iron balustrade panel salvaged from the extant cadillac-palace theater located in downtown chicago. the intricately designed panel features an unusual centrally located cartouche with elaborate scrollwork and a fleur-de-lis motif. the playful festoon or swag surrounding the cartouche is accentuated with two opposed circular floral rosettes, ribbons and acanthus leafage. contains a brushed metal finish.
single original 19th century refinished solid cedar wood structural and/or load-bearing residential foundation post salvaged from a victorian era chicago worker's cottage undergoing demolition. the oversized solid hand-hewn wood circular-shaped piling was originally used to support the interlocking mortised and tenoned sill plates containing the vertical studs used for framing out the cottage. the solid wood piling was closely spaced (in relation to other pilings) under any and all sill plates,
the oyen decorating firm traces its roots to company founder odin j. oyen, who arrived in the city of la crosse, wisconsin at the suggestion of ori sorensen (of sorensen and davis contractors) in february of 1888. the opportunity in la crosse for a painter and interior decorator was seemingly unlimited during around this time period in the late 19th century. the upper midwest building boom of the 1880's and 1890's was well underway - fueled in part by the immense profits generated from the lumbe
exceptional early 20th century finely crafted all original interior residential freestanding white glazed vitreous porcelain or "china" lavatory pedestal sink designed and fabricated by either crane or possibly the standard sanitary mfg. co., pittsburgh, pa. the impressive oversized sink features a detachable elongated oval-shaped bowl with surrounding ornamented apron or skirt. the white glazed pottery pedestal base is not included. the nickel plated cast brass offset trap with vent and outlet
intact and all original antique american ornamental brass and cast iron interior residential fireplace hearth fender attributed to the bradley & hubbard manufacturing co., meriden, conn. the oversized fender is accentuated on the corners with cast iron volutes. the two opposed side panels are topped with ball finials. the three-sided fireplace rail guard retains the original nicely aged surface patina. measures 54 x 11 x 7 inches.
single american prairie school style white glazed terra cotta "sullivanesque" exterior building facade ornamental fired clay diminutive block designed and fabricated by the midland terra cotta company, chicago, ills. the nicely aged chicago building block features a centrally located diamond against a simple grid field pattern. the salvaged terra cotta block exhibits an altered surface patina featuring allover crazing and coal soot accumulation gives the blocks a distinctive discoloration and su
single original and well documented white glazed terra cotta exterior curtain wall and/or facade fragment removed from the historically-important reliance building, located in downtown chicago. the elaborate curtain wall panel contains an allover crazing and discoloration. during restoration of the facade many panels and pieces ere removed and replaced, which attested to the fact that the facade was not well-maintained throughout much of its existence. only after exhaustive documentation and res
all original early 1930's antique american industrial rolled rim commercial building office waste basket or trash can manufactured by the northwestern expanded metal co., chicago, il. all original early 1930's antique american industrial rolled rim commercial building office waste basket or trash can manufactured by the northwestern expanded metal co., chicago, il. the weathered painted trash can is structurally sound and stable. the low-lying and lightweight office can was designed and patented
original early 20th century salvaged chicago darkly stained mission style interior residential sideboard possibly fabricated by the foster-munger company, chicago, ills. the hinged cabinet doors retain the original panes of glass (not shown) with brass handles or knob pulls. the overshelf features fluted columns with centrally located long and narrow mirror original to the furniture piece. the c. 1915-20 sideboard is comprised of birch wood with original stained finish. original early 20th centu
original and intact oversized schiller building (later known as garrick theater) rare souvenir book designed and published by the american stage publishing company, publishers, suite 413, 59 dearborn street, chicago, ills. the oversized souvenir book contains several chicago advertisements, performances at the theater, and profiles of actors and actresses from that time. the book is securely bound and in good overall condition, considering age. the non-extant late 19th century terra cotta-clad s
TWO all original and well-maintained early 20th century antique american industrial "model 530" oversized angled glass x-ray hanging pendant or concealed showroom reflectors designed and fabricated by curtis lighting, inc., chicago, ills. the uniquely-shaped "monarch" shades are equipped with an encased reflecting element (i.e., silver nitrate). the exterior surface consists of a patented "armor" gold enameled finish that required very little maintenance. the original shade fitters are comprised
two matching original antique american industrial white porcelain enameled interior factory machine shop pendant lights fabricated by the benjamin electric company, chicago, ills. the two white porcelain enameled pendants contain rewired single sockets with intct housings. priced for the pair.
richly ornamented buff-colored slip glaze terra cotta triangular-shaped garrick theater ornament salvaged from the building's loggia. the richly ornamented panel was located between the oversized figural rondels. the buff-colored slip gaze ornament was molded by kristian schneider and fabricated by the northwestern terra cotta company, chicago, ills. a collection of garrick theater ornament will be added over the coming weeks. the non-extant late 19th century terra cotta-clad schiller building (
repurposed original american industrial low-lying stationary coffee table comprised entirely from wood and metal scraps found in the old boylston steam gauge factory, located in downtown chicago. the refinished arch top bases are comprised of heavy gauge cold-rolled stamped steel with all-welded joints. the spacious tabletop and apron or skirt are comprised of recycled old growth yellow pine wood once used as shelving for steam fittings. the single sliding drawer with lightly polished knob pull
two finely crafted original and intact c. 1915-1925 salvaged chicago interior residential stained glass bungalow windows attributed to the schuler & mueller co., chicago, il. a total of 8 matching windows in this exact configuration are available for sale. the windows were salvaged from a chicago area bungalow undergoing an extensive "gut job," including all new windows. the wood sashes are original and structurally sound and stable. the leaded art glass windows are free from damage. priced for
highly sought after all original plated steel salvaged chicago vintage american industrial public school locker room baskets designed and fabricated by the washburn company, rockford, ills. the combination perforated plate steel and wire locker baskets retains the original stamped steel number tags with lightly incised lettering. the clean and well-maintained matching baskets are in great overall condition. priced for the lot. Item measures 8" x 8" x 13".
one of several original and intact c. 1876 turned and tapered solid walnut wood interior commercial building staircase spindles likely fabricated by palmer, fuller & co., chicago, il. the well-built painted wood staircase spindle quite possibly may have been turned and installed by fehly frederick according to documents. the old brown paint finish likely dates to the late 19th century. the spindle contains a distinctive profile. the solid walnut wood remains in great overall condition, consideri
notable la crosse, wisc. artist and interior decorator odin julius oyen was born on may 21, 1865, in trondhjem, norway, where his father, lars oyen, a guilder and molder by trade, owned a factory there that created decorative accessories such as mirrors and picture frames for residential settings. suffering financial difficulties with his business, odin's family left norway to begin a new life in america in 1870, where they briefly stayed in chicago before moving to madison, wisc., in 1872, whic
exceptional c. 1880's original and intact oversized four-pane or 2-over-2 storm sash frame likely fabricated by or for the palmer, fuller, and co., chicago, ills. the painted wood sash frame original contained large panes of clear glass that were likely removed or broken when the frame was relegated to the basement. the workers cottage was built in the 1880's. the sash contains multiple ventilation holes that can be concealed with hinged swinging cover. great overall condition. only one availabl
remarkably intact american early 1880's victorian era ornamental salvaged chicago terra cotta keystone possibly fabricated by american or the chicago terra cotta company, chicago, ills. known officially as "brownstone," this type of terra cotta ornament was often unglazed in a dark red or brown finish. the exterior window and door keystones with hollowed rear cavities were used by architects such as richard upjohn, james renwick, h. h. richardson, etc., during this time. the keystone features a