This Colt Model 1839 Carbine was manufactured at the Paterson, New Jersey, factory c. 1838-1841. This standard Model 1839 Carbine has a smoothbore, 24 inch, part-round/part-beveled barrel with brazed lug. The carbine has a loading lever that was added by Colt after the carbine was completed and which partially covers the legend: "-Patent Arms M'g Co. Paterson N.J.-Colt's Pt.-" with snake & star terminals that is roll-stamped on the right side of the barrel lug. The barrel lug has a flat, two-groove wedge and second transverse slot behind the wedge slot. The barrel has a pin front sight and dovetail mounted block rear sight. The six-shot, round-back, 2 1/2 inch cylinder is roll-engraved with Colt's patent markings and three oval scenes. The left side of the frame has a flared recoil shield and the right side has a shallow capping groove. The carbine has a scroll shaped iron, trigger guard. The walnut stock has a varnished piano finish with iron buttplate. The serial number "643" is stamped on both buttplate screws and the lower tang screw. The barrel was originally browned and the cylinder, frame, wedge and other components were blued. Colt manufactured approximately 950 of the Model 1839 Carbines in his Paterson, New Jersey, factory. Some 660 Model 1839 Carbines were purchased by the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy and the Republic of Texas. Samuel Colt considered the Model 1839 Carbine the most successful of all the firearms manufactured in his Paterson factory.